Principal Data Engineer
The Principal Data Engineer role is part of the Analytics team at Cox Automotive Retail Consumer Solutions and is responsible for creating and maintaining very high-quality business critical datasets enabling Analytics teams and other peer team within the Cox Automotive Retail Consumer Solutions to perform and scale their work.
This position reports to Director, Data Science Advertising Ops and interacts with a variety of other internal teams (e.g., Data Science/Data Analysts, Data Foundations, Data Visualization, Marketing Technology and Ad Ops) to represent Analytics’ needs (e.g., proper tagging, ingestion/integration of key data sources, etc.) to ensure that downstream analytics and insights generation processes are enabled.
Skills & Requirements
- Responsible for creating and maintaining very high-quality business critical datasets in Snowflake that the analytics specialists can query for their analysis.
- Designs, develops and maintains reliable automated data solutions based on the identification, collection and evaluation of business requirements. Including but not limited to data models, database objects, stored procedures and views.
- Builds tools that help data scientists and analysts work more efficiently
- Develops new and enhances existing data processing post the initial Data Ingestion & Basic ETL Phases (Data Transformation, Data Store, Data Management, Data Quality) components
- Creates and maintains analysis and dashboard friendly tables providing data pipelining as a service to enable other analytics professionals and stakeholders in the company.
- Creates advanced SQL queries and ensures they are optimized for speed, efficiency and scale
- Provides development and oversite of data modeling and data mining
- Performs data cleansing and linking across multiple disparate data sources
- Establishes a process for delivery of data and key metrics to the analytics team
- Maintains an awareness of trends in the field; research and suggest new methodologies to support efficiency and scale.
- Collaborates with Data Foundations team Data Engineers on infrastructure projects, advocating for database architecture that supports the Analytics function
- Coaches analysts on data engineering best practices
- Other duties as needed or required
- Bachelors Degree (B.S) or Masters Degree (preferred) in either Information Systems, Computer Science or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- 10+ years of related analytics data engineering experience.
- 2+ years with digital marketing & web analytics data sources
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on scaling Analytic Operations.
- Expert SQL experience is required
- Data wrangling and employing a variety of Big Data tools to improve data reliability and quality
- Experience working in Snowflake or Apache Hadoop & Impala is strongly preferred
- Intermediate knowledge and experience with business intelligence & data visualization systems (e.g. Microstrategy, Microsoft Power BI, Google Data Studio and/or Tableau)
- Knowledge of web / digital analysis and related software preferred (e.g., Adobe Analytics / Omniture and Google Analytics)
- Strong communication skills, including experience in clearly and effectively presenting to internal stakeholders.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- Ability to consult and influence as a Subject Matter Expert for the best outcomes to drive broad business successes.
- Ability to anticipate stakeholders’ needs and recognize the opportunity to provide proactive insights to build tight thought partnership
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively multi-task and prioritize in a deadline-driven atmosphere
- Experience successfully collaborating on complex analytics projects involving a matrix of cross-functional teams
- Requires physical ability and mental acuity to execute the duties of the position successfully within required timeframes in order to meet business requirements.
Core Competencies Critical to Success in this Role:
- Drive for results
- Focus on customers
- Build relationships
Does this position have direct reports? ☒ NO ☐ YES If Yes, estimated #
Reports to: ☐ Supervisor ☐ Manager ☒ Director/AVP level ☐ VP or above
Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
There’s nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation, client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
About Company Cox Automotive
Company Website: https://jobs.coxautoinc.com
Cox Automotive is the only company in the world that offers a complete set of solutions for the automotive dealer. We go further to connect pillars of our industry to drive results for our full universe of clients, including dealers, lenders, OEMs and consumers. From inventory and marketing to sales and service — through each stage of a car’s life — we’re connected to the process.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If a disability prevents you from applying for a job through our website, request assistance click here (CAIjobaccommodation@coxinc.com). No other request will be acknowledged.